Thursday 18 April 2013

Poems

Poems Definition

noun

a piece of writing using beautiful or unusual language arranged in fixed lines that have a particular beat and often rhyme
Poetry existed long before Shakespeare, Milton or Chaucer. It existed long before written language. Today poetry expresses itself more often in the form of music than in sonnets. The term poetry is derived from the Greek word "poiein" (to make), suggesting that the poet invents as he composes. Poetry, while sharing many of the distinctions of other forms of literature, differs from other forms in its reliance on verse.

The Woman I Am

(Glen Allen)

The woman I am
Hides deep in me
Beneath the woman
I seem to be.

She hides away
From the stranger's eye--
She is not known
To the passers-by.

She goes her way,
The woman I seem,
But the woman I am
Withdraws to dream!
   

The woman I seem
Goes carelessly--
When love goes by
Does not seem to see.

But the woman I am
Knows sudden fear . . .
And hides more deeply
When love draws near!

For love might look closely
Perhaps...and see
Her beneath the woman
I seem to be!

Triolet

(Robert Bridges)

When first we met, we did not guess
That Love would prove so hard a master;
Of more than common friendliness
When first we met we did not guess.
Who could foretell the sore distress,
This irretrievable disaster,
When first we met--we did not guess
That Love would prove so hard a master."

Poems

Poems

Poems

Poems

Poems

Poems

Poems

Poems

Poems

Poems

Poems

Poems

Poems

Poems

Poems

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...